Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bad Hair Day?...Not Even Close.

Well two days ago it happened. We were really praying it wouldn't but we planned for it and knew it probably would but Mom's hair started to fall out. She and Dad had decided that they would just shave it when it started and so that is what they did. I love my dad for a whole lot of reasons but one of the reasons that stands out always is his ability to take a bummer situation and turn it into one that you actually...enjoy. I am not sure if that is the right word exactly or not but I think it is pretty close. He makes things fun and helps you laugh when you wouldn't otherwise. He has a knack for humor and I strive to be like him in that way and many others. I don't know the details, but Mom said, "He made it fun." She took it remarkably well. She shed some tears as we all would but held her head high and realized that her hair does not make her the person she is. I was so proud the next day when she called me and said she went into work. She did not have to do that. I think I would have wanted to just stay at home by myself, but not her, she worked that wig. Losing her hair is not about to stop my mom. How blessed am I to have the two parents I have? We went to see her that night and the wig looks great! I also got to see her without it and she looks so cute. It was like God shaped her head for just this occasion. Anyway, she took a pretty hard day in stride and for that I am so proud.
Today is also her second round of chemo. Please pray the same prayers as before that the effects be minimal. She handled that well last time too and we truly believe it is because of the prayers offered up on her behalf. We can do all things through Christ who gives us strength. Mom is leaning on His strength and making it her own. You all are such a blessing to us. Thank you for all your prayers. Keep praying!

2 comments:

  1. I think your mom is just wonderful and I know that she is a fighter. She doesn't have the "roll over and take it" personality. I think about you and Taylor and what it must be like to be the daughters. I pray for endurance for all of you.
    I can see your dad making this situation less painful. He has such a gentle way about him.
    I have a story from Colorado when we went to Generous Giving last year. Basically I could tell he is a dad of girls. We were served buffalo steaks one night. When I heard what was on the menu I sounded like a snotty 11 year old "ew buffalo steaks!" I could just hear him talk to you and Taylor when you two were little. He said really sweet and very convincing "it's really good". So I tried like a good girl and let me tell you that buffalo steak is awesome! He got this 30 year old to eat her dinner.
    Cody and I just think the world of your family! I hope you have a great day today!
    Big Hugs to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story because it sums up your family so well. You have the best family! I am praying everyday!

    ReplyDelete