Thursday, August 27, 2009

Braden's Feeding Evaluation

This morning was the day that I took Braden to be evaluated on his eating ability. For several months now I have thought something was wrong but could not put my finger on it. We kept trying and trying but, were unsuccessful at helping him learn to eat. He is 9 months old now and has never had a meal other than nursing. Braden is also waking 2-3 times a night, no matter what I do, to eat. He eats like he is starving and then goes right back to sleep. I have let him cry several times but it just always seems to me like he is so hungry and needs me to feed him.
Well...this morning, long story short, the two sweet ladies that worked and worked with him came to the same conclusion I have come to. His muscles in his mouth are too tight to get any food to go down. His tongue stays rigid along with his cheek muscles. He is eager to try the food and to put it in his mouth but, beyond that he is unable to actually eat it. God has been so faithful to keep this heavily on my heart. I battled back and forth on whether or not we should have him evaluated but, after this morning I am convinced that God placed it on my heart for a reason. Braden is so capable of so many things. He is ahead in almost ever motor skill but, in this case, he needs someone to teach him how to relax those muscles. This is something beyond what I know to teach him. I just know that God has also provided us with the people who are caring and fully capable of filling in the gaps that we need. We are going to start with one to two therapy sessions a week and hopefully get some relief soon. Overall, I think they plan to see us for about six months, which sounds like so long. We are fortunate though, because some kiddos have 2 year plans, so we count this a blessing too.
I have to say that I am so happy it is not a huge deal but, that we did get him checked out. I am also happy to be in such wonderful hands and to have friends near by. Kendra Vaughn works up there and joined us for a little while which was such a blessing. Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement and for the many prayers sent up for us. I have not shared this with many people yet, not because I didn't want to, but because it took me a long time to realize something was wrong and then to describe it to people was difficult too. Keep praying that Braden will learn and adapt quickly and that I can be as encouraging to him as he needs.
I am a little giddy too, because I am seeing sleep in my future which, after nine months, makes me just smile. I will keep you all posted on our progress. Keep the prayers coming.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet boy! We will praying for him and you. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say lots of prayers... Sleepless nights are so hard and I will pray his therapy works quickly and you find relief soon! Love you!

    ReplyDelete