Friday, April 24, 2009

Privileged

Throughout this whole cancer thing I have been a bit disconnected because the boys require so much of my attention and I am not available near as much as I would like to be. I have precious friends and family that have offered to keep the boys so that I can be with Mom, but with Braden needing to be fed regularly, it is so hard for me to be away. Kids are not allowed in the cancer treatment area, which is totally understandable, but that too makes it hard for me to attend things with Mom. Anyway, I say this to tell you all that today my dad came and kept the boys while I got to take Mom to her day after injection. I felt privileged and like I finally had a part in all this. I got to meet the people who are helping care for Mom and whom she has made friends with. It was so nice to see where she goes and what she does. It made it even more real for me which in a way was weird but more than anything it made me feel more at ease even though I don't really know why. Mom said that she didn't want me to ever have memories of her being "sick", but I view all of this as memories of her getting well. I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into making cancer patients feel connected and as comfortable as possible. What those people do each day is amazing. What my mom is doing is also amazing. She is doing well so far this go 'round. She and I had a fun time today while she showed me around and introduced me to each of those people who have become special to her. I am going to try to make it to where I can take her each Friday if at all possible. However, I am going to have to find another way home. (Ha Ha-inside joke with me and Mom.) The prayers you all are praying mean so much to us and I know God is listening.

3 comments:

  1. So glad it worked out for you to do that! I think I would feel the same disconnect if I were in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randi...I love the tenderness of this post. I know the blessing that came with your being with you mom. There is just a settling...a peace that comes to your spirit once you have seen with your own eyes.

    You are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I ever thank God enough for you? I love you with my whole heart!

    ReplyDelete