Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Embarrassed to Admit This

I am embarrassed to admit this but, as a little girl, when I went to a wedding I was a bit confused. I have always loved weddings and have always known that a marriage relationship was something exciting and something I knew I wanted. However, a line that was frequently said by the preacher was something I viewed the wrong way. When the preacher would say, "Let not man set asunder" I heard it incorrectly. I would hear that as the preacher talking to many of the men and women watching the wedding. Like he was telling everyone in the audience to keep their hands off of this married couple because they are now off limits. I thought this was important for everyone to hear. I know this is silly but, over time I realized what was really being said. He was talking to the couple and commanding that they not LET anyone harm their marriage. In other words, DO NOT LET anyone or anything come between you. This comment is so empowering to me. I have always felt that love is not a feeling at all. It is a decision that we must make each and every day of our marriage. Yes, I choose to love you and to not let anything or anyone come between us today even when life is hard or does not go the way we ever expected.
I write this for several reasons. The first reason is because I am very passionate about working daily on a marriage, and I think we should remind ourselves of the importance of this. The second reason for this post is because I have watched close friends go through divorce and it is not easy at all. In fact, it is devastating and I think those of us who are married owe it to God and ourselves to work on our marriage every day. A third reason for writing this today is because, I along with a lot of you, watched Jon and Kate plus 8 last night and am heart broken for those two people. I stopped and prayed for them and everyone I know, to be honest, to protect our marriages.
I write this to, hopefully, inspire at least one person to take a moment and choose their marriage. We get too comfortable and too tired and too distracted. We need to LET NOT man set asunder. Choose to love your spouse today and maybe even tell them that you choose them today and every day.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Randi. I watched it too last night and it broke my heart. I really just want to sit them both down and have a little chat but I think prayer might work quite a bit better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN. It's absolutely a choice, and a definitely a daily one, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this! You're so right and it's heartbreaking when marriages end. God blesses us when we choose marriage & make these kind of commited choices. I join you in praying for all our marriages!

    ReplyDelete