Monday, January 19, 2009

Peaceful Walk

I want to paint a picture for you so that you can experience the peaceful walk my boys and I went on today. By my boys I mean Cason, Braden, and Samson our nine pound yorkie. Let me set the scene for you. Both boys strapped into a double stroller. Cason covered in Thomas the train stickers (he is a bit obsessed right now) holding the leash which he insists on. We were so excited to get out of the house and to enjoy the fresh air and beautiful sunshine. Braden was fast asleep all cuddled in a blanket. I just knew this was going to be one of our better walks.
And we're off! Samson leads the way. There were two boys on scooters that worried me at first because Samson likes to take off after things and people but to my excitement, the two boys headed the other way. Disaster averted.
About half way through our walk Cason needed to check to make sure all of his stickers were still there (heaven forbid one fall off) .and Braden began to stir. I was hoping the sunshine and the motion of the stroller would keep him asleep but I was wrong. He quickly became upset. He started really crying so I decided to head back. I was moving pretty quickly when to my dismay a garbage truck came out from around the corner. I grabbed Samson's leash and pinned him down while the man in the truck stopped to let me cross the street. He began to laugh when he realized I could not push the double stroller and hold the dog from chasing his truck. So he went on his way. I laughed a little at myself too. I was just happy he went on. We were getting close to the house now and I was honestly relieved. I thought "Nothing else can distract us now, we should be OK. Braden please stop crying." We rounded the last corner with home in sight when I saw to my horror an elderly woman trying to bring in her trash can. At the same time, Samson discovered a target as well. He took off barking at her. I grabbed his leash and held him back. He was still barking while I tried to pull him back and push the double stroller with a screaming baby around the elderly woman who was trying to talk to me. I could not hear a word she said. I continued to push and she did the unthinkable. She started following me. I had to grab Samson's leash by the skinny part and got a blister on my finger. Braden was going hoarse by this point, Samson was trying to get this poor woman, I was trying to push a double stroller and hold back a dog all while trying not to be rude to this poor old woman. I thought to myself. I am so glad I came up with the wonderful idea to go on a peaceful walk. AWESOME! Does anyone want a dog?

6 comments:

  1. There you go. That's what you write about! I could picture that walk. Loved that story. It got me thinking about all of my "peaceful" walks in the weeks to come. I applaud you for actually trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! It wasn't until this point in my life that I understood why my parents didn't want a dog when we were really young!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the story!!! I totally understand!!! Pushing a double stroller and walking the dog is a talent! Poor Toby does not get to go with us all that often because I can't handle him and my two boys. Loved it, I laughed really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the reason I don't take my dog on walks... I am going on my first walk with Emma today so we will see how that goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hilarious! I never took our dog when I would take the boys on walks. You are very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through Tara's nominees! :) I love this story - it's great to hear about other mom's experiences so I don't feel so bad or discouraged! Good for you for getting out and trying again :)

    ReplyDelete